The Dog Who Eats Tennis Balls | My Dog Ate What? - YouTube
As an all round ball, it is great for my dog but a chewer can have this 20-30 dollar ball done in ten minutes or less.
My dog Jack loved playing fetch with tennis balls and chewing on them. One day, he decided to really tear one up, and I was afraid he had eaten part of it. Thankfully he hadn’t, but that made me rethink leaving tennis balls lying around when he was home alone.
One issue with tennis balls is that large dogs can easily chomp hard enough on a tennis ball to break it into two halves, which could become lodged in the throat. Ingesting part or all of a tennis ball can create a life-threatening blockage, and you certainly don’t want to let your dog eat any part of the ball, including the fuzz.
I had a client dog eat a tennis ball once
Dog eating Tennis ball - YouTube
What almost killed my dog and has caused a permanent lung issue was the fuzz from the balls. One day while playing he could not breathe and was rushed to our veterinarian and it was found he had accumulated a mass in his air ways and lungs causing a significant respiratory problem. After a stay in the hospital and a very expensive treatment he made it through but even today has a breathing problem. We now play with solid or thick plastic balls. A quick note one my Labs developed a back issue at a very young age and we were told not to allow him to play with a Frisbee and jump off the ground.I have learned many of the dogs we seen in competitions are put to sleep years younger than their peers because of jumping which destroys their backs and joints; that vets are aware of the issue with tennis balls but are scared of law suits and don't inform their patients. Some dogs eat socks. Some eat hair ties. Some eat bones. Some eat tennis balls. Some grab the full bottle of Gorilla Glue off the kitchen counter and eat that. Some cats eat or string. No one knows why.When Your Dog Chokes on an Object If your dog does end up choking on a ball or toy, you can take him to an emergency animal hospital, where they will put him under quick sedation to remove the obstruction. If he is showing acute signs of severe choking (e.g., his gums turn blue, he passes out, etc.), you might have to take the situation into your own hands and carefully dislodge the ball yourself. You can attempt the Heimlich maneuver by lifting up his front paws, with your dog facing outward, and using your fist to thrust upward just beneath the rib cage. Another option -- with a greater risk of getting bitten -- is to reach in through the mouth to try to free the ball.There is a far greater risk of your dog being affected by choking on the ball or getting a respiratory issue from the fuzzy-like substance of the ball, than there is with the enamel eating their teeth. On a recent list of the top 10 foreign objects ingested by dogs on accident, tennis balls were #5.